On Monday, Annabelle gave Momma a scare.
She decided to “hold it” and not pee.
I went to change her diaper in the middle of the night Sunday, and it was dry. Not usual for Annabelle. In the morning, still dry. Before nap, STILL dry.
Now, let me explain. It is very important to make sure Annabelle has sufficient urine output. (my attempt at sounding professional about the TMI subject…) If she is not peeing it usually means a.) she is retaining fluid or b.) she is dehydrated.
And retaining fluid could point to congestive heart failure which could point to rejection. And dehydration is yucky in its own way.
For the most part, Annabelle was acting normal. I did have to go up on her oxygen a little, and she’d been gagging even more than normal on her feeds, so everything together made this Momma VERY nervous.
We’d gone to the ER on Memorial day. I really did NOT want a holiday repeat!
Talked to the doctor, we tried a few things including giving her pedialite, and she finally peed a little, and then she started to perk up and be REALLY happy (was even laughing for Grandma Phillips) so we all felt okay staying put.
The next day, she was peeing like a champ again. So the thinking is that my normally fluid overloaded little girl was actually dehydrated for once!
Went to clinic yesterday. Her labs were wonderful!!! And the echo and EKG looked “is looking better every time” to quote the doctor.
Those words are better than all the chocolate in the world!!!
I was also relieved to see her O2 SAT. It was 97% on 1/8th of a liter of oxygen. When I plugged our O2 sensor in from home (I’d taken it to clinic so I could compare), it read 91.
So I’m pretty confident that for some reason, it is reading a little low, so I am feeling better about continuing our oxygen wean too. (See picture of her after a bath… we were changing out her cannula so took the moment for a no-oxygen photo-op… won’t it be nice to have these kind of pictures ALL THE TIME!?!?!)
Our biggest hurdle right now is still FOOD. Both by mouth and Gtube. She’s still gagging and throwing up at about 50% of her feedings, if not more. She only vomits a little bit because of her Nissen (the surgery she had to prevent her from throwing up/having reflux) but it is still frustrating, and it scares her every time.
We were scheduled to try new formula, but it never came. Come to find out, our medical supplier was refusing to supply us this new kind because of cost. So the insurance people found us another supplier, and we should have it tomorrow. PLEASE pray this gives my little girl some relief! If it does, we will be able to get her on a much more normal feeding schedule (no night-time feeds.) And that will be good for ALL involved, including Momma who would LOVE a whole nights sleep!
*** Other stuff ***
It’s turning cold. Well, colder. I am SO SO SO thankful for the relief from the heat (as will be my poor electric bill!) However, the September weather means we are nearing the time for….