Had a good (needed) night sleeps last night, except for one call in the middle of the night letting me know Annabelle’s blood pressure was really high. They turned a med down, and that helped a little. I think, though, this is much because she is missing her normal blood pressure medicine that she is on, but since we aren’t using her gut, they haven’t given it to her.
Speaking of her tummy…
It still has air in it, but the more concerning part is that there is air in her liver. The surgeons believe this actually happened yesterday morning when her oxygen level was too low. Her intestines didn’t get enough O2, which causes them to weaken, and some of the gas that was in her belly then went through the intestine wall into her liver.
Surgery would be needed only if they felt her intestine wasn’t “working” in a spot (in which they would cut the spot out… YUCK), but they don’t believe that is the case.
They are recommending that we go on “bowel” rest for the next 4 days, meaning she is put on IV nutrition to let her gut rest, then start back feeds very slowly.
But as to the cause of yesterday morning….
The jury is still out. And Mom isn’t certain she loves the jury’s verdict.
I think everyone is banking on this being a respiratory virus. I understand… because her lungs are very wet… but my gut just says there is something more.
Anyway, they noted this morning that even if cultures came back, they might still just assume it was a virus/infection that was undetected, but Mommy is NOT OK WITH THAT AT ALL! While I’ve been in the hospital long enough to completely understand why they sometimes do this, so am not blaming them, my gut tells me there is something more, and while we have to be here, I WANT TO FIND IT!
Today is a wait day though…
Because tomorrow, the transplant team will be here, and they defer most of the “heart” stuff to them. So today, we are just trying to stay stable, resting her gut, making some decisions about blood pressure medicine, but that’s it.
Her BNP was down a little today from 2200 to 1500… 1500 is still WAY high though, but they are encouraged that it went down. While I am encouraged, I am not convinced it means that it is all viral lung issues vs heart.
One bright light… she is awake a little, and I got her a few little rattles from the playroom and she is grasping them and moving them around! Makes Momma’s heart feel a little better, something so simple, so normal, so ANNABELLE.
Your prayers for wisdom for the doctors is appreciated! Also discernment for Scott and I on when to push for more answers/tests is appreciated too.